KCTS 9 Announces Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Education
KCTS 9 announced today the winners of the 20th annual Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Education, celebrating educators, programs and schools making a positive difference in Washington state education from early childhood through high school. Students, parents, teachers and community members nominated nearly 200 individuals and programs from public and private schools across the state.
A panel of Golden Apple judges including representatives from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Washington Education Association, Washington State Parent Teacher Association, Association of Washington School Principals and past Golden Apple Award honorees evaluated the nominees and selected this year's winners:
2011 GOLDEN APPLE AWARDS - INDIVIDUALS
- Lary Barilleau, Hamilton International Middle School, Seattle
- Dan Brown, Okanogan High School, Okanogan
- Pamela Landoni, Hellen Haller Elementary, Sequim
- Beverly Mowrer, New Start High School, Burien
- Marcus Pimpleton, Denny-Sealth Music, Seattle
- Valerie Stensland, Dutch Hill Elementary, Snohomish
- George Thornton, Oroville High School, Oroville
- Jennifer Wiley, Franklin High School, Seattle
2011 GOLDEN APPLE AWARDS - PROGRAMS
- College Mentor Program, Wenatchee School District, Wenatchee
- Lincoln Center, Lincoln High School, Tacoma
2011 GOLDEN APPLE SCHOOLS OF EXCELLENCE
- Garfield High School, Seattle
- Mercer Island High School, Mercer Island
This year's Golden Apple winners will be honored at an awards ceremony held in February 2012 in Seattle. Each winner will receive the Golden Apple statue and a cash award, and will also be profiled by KCTS 9 and featured in a primetime broadcast on public television stations statewide in February.
To learn more about the accomplishments of each of these teachers and schools, visit the KCTS 9 website. For more information about the Golden Apple Awards, and to watch videos about the previous winners, visit http://kcts9.org/education/golden-apple-awards.