Weekend Highlights

Published January 1, 2011
Adoption, Kinship, Fosterng

Numbers to Know When You Are Fostering a Child in WA

by Washington Department of Social and Health Services, Children's Administration

Foster Parent and Caregiver Crisis and Support Line: 1-800-301-1868


Under contracts with the state, three private agencies are working to build supports for you within the foster care community. Supports include hubs, support groups, and matching new foster parents with veteran foster parents. To get connected:

  • If you live in Eastern Washington, the Olympic Peninsula down through Pacific County or from Thurston County to Clark County, call 1-888-794-1794.
  • If you live in King County or any counties north of King County, call 206-605 -0664.
  • If you live in Pierce or Kitsap counties, call 253-473-9252.
  • If you live in King County, the Friends of Youth CARE program provides short-term counseling, education and support to help you care for your most difficult children. 1-888-263-3457 or 206-915-0459.

Family Help Line: 1-800-932-HOPE or www.parenttrust.org. The Family Help Line is a free, statewide training and referral line for the families of Washington state. Last year, the Family Help Line received more than 5,000 calls and requests for information. Calls can last up to 90 minutes and parents can call as often as needed.

Support for foster parents under investigation for allegations of abuse or neglect:

  • Foster Parent Investigation Retention Support Team (FIRST) 253-219-6782. Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., or leave a message and receive a return call within 24 hours.
  • Foster Parent and Caregiver Crisis and Support Line: 1-800-301-1868
  • Mental Health Crisis Line Information: The crisis line telephone number for your county or region is available on the DSHS Mental Health Division website at: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/mentalhealth/crisis.shtml.


FPAWS: Foster Parent Association of Washington State is an all volunteer non-profit association. It is led by experienced caregivers who provide support and helpful services to all caregivers (foster, adoptive, and kinship) in Washington State. In addition, FPAWS advocates for caregivers with Washington’s legislative officials, all levels of Children’s Administration staff and other community service providers to enhance the child welfare system. Contact FPAWS at fpaws.org or 1-800-391-CARE (2273).

Kitsap and Pierce County information about becoming a foster parent or to receive foster parent support: Foster Care Resource Network, 253-473-9252. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or leave a message and receive a return call by the next business day.


Get connected to information on resources in your area by calling 211 – a toll free number.

Children’s Administration Foster Parent Website:  http://www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/fosterparents/

Children’s Administration Foster Parent Training Website: Trainings are open to all licensed foster parents, licensed relative caregivers and unlicensed caregivers. For information about foster parent and caregiver training, go to:  http://www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/fosterparents/training.asp


Join the 2,200 people who have subscribed to the List Serve for updated information on resources for the work you do in caring for children. http://listserv.wa.gov/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=fosterparents&&A=1

Family Planning Services are designed to help avoid unwanted or mistimed pregnancy and are available through your local Community Service Office (CSO). Each CSO has a full time Family Planning Nurse to help provide services to Medicaid eligible clients. There is also a Family Planning hotline number 1-800-770-4334

(0) Comment(s)

Post a Comment