Join Launch for a fun summer program centered around the theme of “Around the World”, with lots of cool activities that help kids make friends, create, discover, and learn! We'll navigate the global community with each of the seven continents as our weekly theme, and learn about each area’s unique culture through food, music, art, geography, animal life, sports, outdoor play, and tons of guest speakers!
Kids will get to do engaging, hands-on enrichment activities based on the weekly themes that will help them develop social-emotional and academic skills. Launch summer campers will also have plenty of opportunities for fun social interactions, making messy art, playing outside, and just getting to be kids! The weekly themes are:
- Week 1: (July 10th – July 14th): My World – Our introductory week is a long-time Launch custom and lets each camper learn about each other’s cultural backgrounds. This is a safe time for multilingual children to greet their friends in the language they speak at home. Teachers will lead children in a show-and-tell of items, images or dance routines representing each child’s world. We will also venture out to watch STG’s multicultural talent show: Dance This!
- Week 2: (July 17th – July 21st): Europe – God dag! Como Stai? Let’s take up cycling and learn the Netherlands’ topography on a bike! Bike to Launch or bring your wheels for some playground time at the end of the week. Play with dough and make pasta for an Italian-style snack. Get inspired by Belgian cartoons and comics to make your comic book strip. Enjoy Irish folklore and Celtic art and imagery.
- Week 3: (July 24th – July 28th): North and Central America – Bienvenidos! How are you? Take a tour of Canada’s Arctic tundra, relish Mexican and Caribbean cuisine, explore the jungles of Costa Rica, or dance to the rhythm of punta! This week we also embed and honor the traditions of different Indigenous tribes like the Taino people, the Aztec or Mayan cultures, Garifuna and Coast Salish. We will pay a visit to Daybreak Star Cultural Center and spend the day at Discovery Park.
- Week 4: (July 31st – August 4th): South America – Olá! Avy’aitéiko rejuhaguere ko’ápe! Let’s continue down the western hemisphere and study Charles Darwin’s love for giant tortoises on The Galapagos Islands! Let’s play soccer in Argentina, speak Quechua in Peru as we visit Machu Picchu, and make Brasil Carnaval inspired costumes for a Launch fashion show!
- Week 5: (August 7th – August 11th): Africa – Karibu, muraho neza! Welcome to our exploration of Africa! This week we will be making stops in several countries such as Rwanda and Lesotho to explore how kids play, explore, create, and express themselves here in the continent with the most countries in the world. Kids will make common foods, learn local games, explore new languages, and create art while they learn about specific countries and cultures.
- Week 6: (August 14th – August 18th): Western Asia and Asia – Marhaba! Salam! Sawasdee! This week learn the Trabzon dance from Turkey that symbolizes the wild waves of the Black Sea and the fluttering of ‘hamsi’ (anchovy) fish. Learn playground songs in Arabic, nurture yourself with traditional Chinese medicine, learn to make spring rolls or sushi, and enjoy a meditative walk through Seattle’s Japanese Garden.
- Week 7: (August 21st – August 25th): Australia and Oceania – G’day! Talofa! Karuwainene! Did you know that there are more sheep in Oceania than people? Come join Launch “Down Under” as we take campers through the 14 countries in Oceania and see what they do during their summer months in December, January, and February! How rad!
- Week 8: (August 28th – September 1st): Our World – Our final week is another long-time tradition to celebrate water. Flow around the oceans with us as we review how water connects us and build on what we learned around the world. We’ll also deep dive into the Antarctic with ice-based experiments and cool climate research.
We are an inclusive program that accommodates special needs whenever possible, depending on the needs of the child. Please contact us to discuss any needed accommodations.