It’s springtime! Flowers are blooming, soft rains are falling and it’s time to welcome fairies into our gardens. Scour any green space for supplies, and remember that fairies love nature, so make your house as natural as possible. Once you complete your fairy house you will be able to display your creation in our garden during Fairyfest. If you choose to do this, you will be in the running to win The People's Choice Award, voted on by visitors during the event. The People's Choice winner will also receive a Lakewold Gardens Membership for a year!
1) It’s time to build your fairy house! You can build it freehand, or choose a structure to affix your materials to. If you would like to keep your fairy house outside, this structure should be made out of wood, or something waterproof. Ideas: consider using an old birdhouse, watering can, or flowerpot.
2) Gather your materials! Look around a yard or green space for natural elements to build your house with. Consider branches, moss, pinecones, leaves, shells and vines. Small stones, pebbles, and flowers will also work. What other materials will you add?
3) Now that you have an optional structure and materials chosen, start assembling! For this step, you may need a small hammer and nails, a hot glue gun, wood glue, or simply some white glue. Consider your materials and use your best judgment. Safety first!
4) Once your house is completed, snap a picture! Send this photo to email@example.com and we can include it on our website! Be sure to include in the e-mail a description of your fairy house long with a compelling name, and the name and ages of each builder or building team. *(Submissions due by Monday, June 20)
5) Please do not submit commercial or plastic kits or any sort of copyrighted imagery. We want to see what your imagination comes up with!
6) We would love to have your submissions on-site during FairyFest! During Fairyfest we will be placing the houses around Lakewold to be enjoyed by visitors. Visitors will vote on their favorite house and one lucky house will win the People's Choice Award, which will be announced at the close of FairyFest once all votes are tallied. Drop off your creations from now until June 24th, anytime we are open to the public.
Happy Fairy House Building!