The 2023 session of the Washington State Legislature – the biennial “long session at 105 days – is quickly moving towards its end date of April 23. And the longest, hardest negotiation is well underway: what services and projects will the state funder over the next two years?
The League of Education Voters (LEV) continues its efforts to educate parents, educators, advocates, and others invested in the welfare and education of Washington’s children about the implications of lawmakers’ actions with a FREE webinar on state budget talks and what they mean.
The online event “Under the Radar Budget Provisos that Can Make a Difference for Washington’s Young People” will take place on April 6 starting at 12:30 p.m. The webinar is free.
“The budget proposals currently being discussed in Olympia will determine which programs will be funded and to what level for the next two years,” said Arik Korman, LEV’s acting chief executive. “More cost-intensive proposals often get the headlines, but budgets also include dozens of smaller items that often go unnoticed, but they can help usher in meaningful change.”
“We will take a closer look at a few potentially impactful budget provisos that advocates are hoping to secure funding for as the legislature settles into the budget negotiation process,” Korman said.
Several panelists will participate in the discussion, including:
- Student Adar Abdi is a senior at Highline’s Evergreen High School and a Running Start student at South Seattle College. Abdi is also director of community outreach for the Washington State Legislative Youth Advisory Council (LYAC) and a current King County Equity Cabinet member
- Roxana Gomez, Youth Policy Manager at The ACLU of Washington
- Kia Franklin, Executive Director of Stand for Children Washington
- Paula Sardinas, President and CEO of FMS Global Strategies LLC, a Black, and other BIPOC Governmental Affairs Advocacy firm
- Sarah Butcher, Co-Founder and Director at Roots of Inclusion
- Ramona Hattendorf, Director of Advocacy at The Arc of King County
The webinar will offer live Spanish interpretation and closed captioning in English.
Unable to attend in real-time but want to follow the discussion? Register to receive a link to the recording that you can watch at your convenience. To register got to LEV’s lunchtime webinars page.
Follow education-related bills during the 2023 Legislative Session with LEV’s Bill Tracker.
To view a side-by-side comparison between the League of Education Voters’ 2023-2025 Biennial Budget Proposal Side-By-Side and budgets currently being proposed by the state House of Representatives, Senate, and Governorn’s office, go to LEV’s budget comparison sheet.