Are you a professional who works with children experiencing grief? A student interested in helping kids cope with loss? A parent in search of resources and guidance? If so, mark your calendar for February 27-28 and the Safe Crossings Foundation’s 9th Annual Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief.
The two-day educational event is designed to support providers such as clinicians, therapists and counselors, therapists-in-training, teachers, school staff, and healthcare workers but all are welcome.
Learn from those who have made understanding childhood grief their life’s work, including Alice Ryan, LICSW, clinical manager of the Journey Program at Seattle Children’s. Ryan will discuss the interrelationship of styles of attachment and the experience of grief and bereavement in youth. Nancy Dorrier, writer and co-founder Dorrier Underwood, will introduce participants to a writing practice that teaches a new way of listening to grief experiences. And Samiira Mohamed, MSN, executive director of Diaspora Family Healing Network will tackle the subject of grief support for underrepresented communities and the need support the non-death, chronic, and ambiguous losses that disproportionately impact people of color.
Other conference sessions include:
- Where Do We Start? Healing Ourselves to Heal Our Children
- Something Doesn’t Feel Right: The Effects of Grief on the Body
- Wild Grief’s Trek of Discovery: Things we learned that could be useful on your trek.
- Understanding Grief After Suicide
- Storying Grief: A Supportive Intervention
- Impacts of Childhood Grief and Therapeutic Interventions to Address Youth at All Stages of Development
- Supporting Kids and Teens through Traumatic Loss
- Efficacy of Grief Support Groups in Schools & Resources for Facilitating Grief Groups in K-12 School
Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief will take place February 27-28 at Seattle Children’s Sand Point Learning Center. Registration fees are $150 general admission and $75 for students. Scholarships are available upon request. To register, go to the conference website.